Tuesday, May 11, 2010

THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF METAL

with "COMPLETE METALSMITH" by Tim McCreight

This book is what I consider the bible of metal working. It is the most complete compiling of metal techniques, materials, tools and every other detail you could ever want in about metal working. I started with this book when I took a collage metalsmithing class and thought when I had to buy it "great another collage art book, just what my book shelf needs" I was a design major before and even though I took my classes over 15 years ago I still can't seem to bring my self to part with my old textbooks. (but I NEVER have even as much a looked at them again in 15 years) So I thought this was just going to be another one of those books. Boy was I wrong! I have seen many, many books since, several I have in my own referance collection, but none as comprehensive as his book! I still refer to my copy all the time it is well worn and loved with lots of sticky tabs to my favorite pages. I love all the famous side quotes he has added in the side bars of the book.

It was originally published in 1980 the revised and enlarged in 1991. I understand there is another revision in the works (although I can't imagine what he could had) During the last revision they struggled with thoroughness and ease of use. The solution came to was this: create three editions, each with it's own virtues.

1. The Student Edition gives solid must have information that is appropriate for entry level students, hobbyists, and casual metalsmiths

2. The Professional Edition covers the same material, but goes into greater depth

3. The ProPlus Edition is a package that includes the professional print edition plus a CD with full text rendered as an electronic file. It also includes calculation software, video clips, and two additional books by the same author, Practical Jewelry Rendering and Design Language.

So because I don't know of a better metalsmithing book out there. I thought it would be fun to share and review his book of the coarse of several weeks. Eleven to be exact as there is eleven fabulous chapters. Each weeks I will review and share the chapter here and welcome any comments or pearls of wisdom that any of you have found on your metal journey. This should give you a complete overview of the world of metalsmithing but of course you will want to read it for your self to get the detailed information that is offered. I do stock the Student and Professional Edition book in my store for those of you who want to read it for yourself and get all the detailed information that he offers.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/46652525/metalsmith-book-the-complete-metalsmith
This should be fun! I can't wait to review his book again, I still always pick up something every time I read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment